Skip to main content

What's in a name? Hoda Kotb reveals the meaning behind her new daughter's name




COURTESY HODA KOTB


Hoda Kotb surprised Today audiences on Tuesday when she announced she had welcomed a daughter — Haley Joy — through adoption.
“She’s a Valentine’s baby,” Kotb, 52, said, calling in to the NBC morning show to discuss the big news. “She is the love of my life.”
Calling back into the show’s fourth hour, which she normally co-hosts, Kotb explained the inspiration behind her daughter’s name — all while feeding Haley Joy!


“Haley is because of Halley’s Comet,” Kotb told a tearful Kathie Lee Gifford and Jenna Bush Hager, referencing the famous short-period comet — which is visible to the naked eye from Earth every 75 years.
“It was one of those things where I just picture her sailing through the sky.”

Want all the latest pregnancy and birth announcements, plus celebrity mom blogs? Click here to get those and more in the PEOPLE Babies newsletter.
The name was something Kotb discussed with her sister, Hala. “My sister and I were talking on the phone and she was saying, ‘You know, I’m Hala, you’re Hoda, our niece is Hana — what about Haley?’ ”
As for Haley’s middle name, Joy, that one is pretty self-explanatory.
“Joy just because she brings us joy,” Kotb said. “She’s got a beautiful way about her.”
Kotb — who moved in with her boyfriend, Joel Schiffman, last year —  was previously married to former University of New Orleans tennis coach Burzis Kanga. The couple divorced in 2007 after two years of marriage and had no children.
But Kotb said she always wanted to be a mother. “You know how many times I walked down the street and one of the questions people always ask me is, ‘Oh do you have kids?’ ” Kotb remembered. “And I always say, ‘No, I don’t.’ And it’s one of those things where it’s kind of always a little bit of an ouch and an ache.”
That won’t happen anymore — though Kotb admitted it did happen just this week. “The other day I was walking down the street to get some cream for her, and someone asks, ‘Are you a mom?’ I couldn’t say it out loud for her, but in my head I was like, ‘I am a mom! I am!’ ” she joked.


So thrilled for @hodakotb and her precious daughter, Haley Joy!! She will be the best mommy ever! We love you, Hoda, enjoy every moment!❤️❤️


Can't. Stop. Crying. So thrilled for you , @hodakotb. Haley Joy's life will be defined by *JOY* with you as a mama. Love!

“Can you believe I have a daughter?” she asked. “I didn’t know that my heart can feel like this. With all the love I’ve ever had in my life — I’ve had the love of a wonderful mom, a wonderful man, the best siblings — I never ever imagined that I could feel this kind of … it’s like a warm hand on my heart. She’s learning up against me and I’m over the moon.”
“This is a moment in my life I never thought would happen,” Kotb continued. “And here it is happening to me. Wow.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hillary Clinton Gains Double-Digit Lead Over Donald Trump in Key Battleground States

Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton has built up a significant lead in several crucial battleground states, according to new NBC/WSJ/Marist polling released today. Clinton has generated double-digit margins in Virginia and Colorado with 13-point and 14-point advantages over Trump, respectively. The poll also showed Clinton with leads over Trump in Florida and North Carolina. In the Sunshine State, Clinton has a 5-point edge among registered voters. In North Carolina, Clinton enjoys a 9-point advantage. Losses in these states could be devastating for Trump. The Republican nominee’s clearest path to the White House requires wins in Ohio and Florida, where Hillary Clinton has a slight lead, as well as North Carolina and Pennsylvania, where he trails by a broad nine percentage points. Trump has been plagued by controversy since his party’s convention three weeks ago, clashing with the father of a fallen Muslim soldier, refusing to endorse House Speaker...

Former NFL player Darren Sharper sentenced to 18 years in drugging and rape case

The former NFL player Darren Sharper has been sentenced to 18 years in prison in a case in which he was accused of drugging and raping as many as 16 women in four states. Judge Jane Triche Milazzo sentenced Sharper on Thursday. He had pleaded guilty or no-contest in federal court in New Orleans, and state courts in Louisiana, Arizona, California and Nevada to charges arising from the allegations of drugging and raping women. Prosecutors suggested a nine-year prison term for Sharper under a multi-jurisdictional plea deal, but Milazzo rejected it as too lenient in June. The sentence was 15 months short of the maximum. He was also fined $20,000. Sharper pleaded guilty in federal court to three counts of distributing drugs with rape as the aim. He or his friend Brandon Licciardi, a former sheriff’s deputy in neighboring St Bernard Parish, put anti-anxiety drugs or sedatives into women’s drinks so they could rape them, according to a 15-page statement signed as part of ...

Jill Stein on 11 key issues: Where does Green Party presidential candidate stand?

Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein presents herself as a viable alternative this year to the two major-party candidates, who have the lowest approval ratings of any presidential nominees in the past seven decades. Stein, 66, of Lexington, Mass., is making her second bid for president on the Green Party ballot line. The Harvard-educated doctor received almost 500,000 votes for president in 2012, which she boasts is still the record for most votes received by a woman candidate for president in the general election. Stein says she became involved in politics more than a decade ago because she didn't like the country's direction, and had become alarmed about children becoming ill from environmental pollution and unhealthy foods they are provided. She and running mate Ajamu Baraka support a "Green New Deal" under which the government would end dependence on fossil fuels, fight climate change and create millions of new green-energy jobs. Here...