Skip to main content

Garry Marshall, feminist role model: He told stories about funny, feisty, independent women


The late great director paved a path for stories that were unapologetically about and for women in Hollywood


Garry Marshall, feminist role model: He told stories about funny, feisty, independent womenGary Marshall
Garry Marshall, who died on Tuesday at the age of 81, will be remembered as a prolific writer, director, producer and creator of classic television series and films. To me, he’ll also always be one of my first and most enduring great feminist role models. Throughout his career, the Bronx-born maestro consistently gave the world funny, messy, independent, complicated female characters, and helped generations of women grow up with the message that we too could do it our way.
I was a kid when “Laverne and Shirley” premiered. It was a spinoff of Marshall’s retro and bland “Happy Days” — the vehicle that also, unfortunately, would give us all Scott Baio. Like “Happy Days,” it took place in Milwaukee in the Eisenhower era. Unlike “Happy Days,” which focused on a group of affable male youths, or the later “Mork & Mindy,” about a contemporary space alien, “Laverne and Shirley” — costarring Marshall’s sister Penny — was about two women. Two blue collar, single women. With jobs.
They didn’t possess the patrician looks or career track aspirations of Mary Tyler Moore’s groundbreaking Mary Richards — though Garry Marshall was certainly paying attention to her at the time, as his later recurring role on the beloved and unabashedly feminist “Murphy Brown” would attest. Instead, Laverne and Shirley were, like Mary’s buddy Rhoda, the girls who real girls — girls who were not beautiful, girls whose parents were ordinary folks with regular jobs, girls whose homes were a little run down and maybe didn’t get enough light — could relate to. They looked like they were having so much fun, with their pizzas and their bowling and their bottle-capping jobs. Their lives were pure slapstick — logical coming from a creator who’d worked earlier in his career with Lucille Ball. They were not scolding housewives or out-of-touch moms, which makes them, even in today’s sitcom landscape, pretty revelatory. God, how I wanted to be them.
Many years after “Laverne and Shirley” left the airwaves, I was an earnest young feminist, and I saw “Pretty Woman” for the first time. I loved it. Adored it. Paid money to see it more than once. Just last week I was in a hotel room, and when “Pretty Woman” appeared on cable and I was unable to resist it. I’ve seen “Pretty Woman” more times than Romy and Michele have. And I remember the slew of think pieces that came out when it was released, the hand wringing over how “problematic” a romantic comedy about a young hooker and the older man who buys her lots of nice things was. But honestly, the thing holds up. It helps that the movie launched Julia Roberts and her smile and her hair into the stratosphere, but it’s also a film with charm and vulnerability. In a 2001 interview with Americana magazine, Marshall quite astutely gave his interpretation of it, saying, “I don’t think ‘Pretty Woman’ is just about the cultural adoration of beauty, femininity, and sexuality. I think it’s about getting a bad deck of cards and working to change that.” By the end, “Vivian has begun her own education, and she encourages others to educate themselves. I don’t understand why critics think she’s going to give up her education just because Gere comes to get her. That’s not what I had in mind at all.”
Many more years after that first viewing of “Pretty Woman,” I was now a mom, and I took my young daughter to see “The Princess Diaries.” It was another Garry Marshall film of a beautiful young woman’s transformation — just this time, as they say, without all the hooker stuff. With it, director Marshall yet again took an incandescent young star — this time Anne Hathaway — and created a story of becoming a self-possessed woman. A leader. I now have two daughters and have seen “The Princess Diaries” roughly eight thousand times and I will fight to the death anyone who speaks ill of it. It’s a great feminist story that’s also about the power of great hair. Why not? Last year, the film’s costar Heather Matarazzo referred to Marshall as “just the best.” 
In his 2001 interview, Marshall said, “Before the seventies, women were told to shut up. Now… they say, ‘I’ll speak and I’ll change the world.'” How cool, how still truly unusual, when a successful male Hollywood director hears that and wants to be part of that. It’s true he made many clunkers along the way, and I certainly prefer to imagine his later holiday-themed, cast of thousands comedies don’t exist. But I will always be grateful for what Marshall consistently did, and did with such great sweetness and heart — he told stories about women. Women who were not sidepieces. Women who worked hard for what they wanted. And women who always, always kept their sense of humor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hillary Clinton Gains Double-Digit Lead Over Donald Trump in Key Battleground States

Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton has built up a significant lead in several crucial battleground states, according to new NBC/WSJ/Marist polling released today. Clinton has generated double-digit margins in Virginia and Colorado with 13-point and 14-point advantages over Trump, respectively. The poll also showed Clinton with leads over Trump in Florida and North Carolina. In the Sunshine State, Clinton has a 5-point edge among registered voters. In North Carolina, Clinton enjoys a 9-point advantage. Losses in these states could be devastating for Trump. The Republican nominee’s clearest path to the White House requires wins in Ohio and Florida, where Hillary Clinton has a slight lead, as well as North Carolina and Pennsylvania, where he trails by a broad nine percentage points. Trump has been plagued by controversy since his party’s convention three weeks ago, clashing with the father of a fallen Muslim soldier, refusing to endorse House Speaker...

Former NFL player Darren Sharper sentenced to 18 years in drugging and rape case

The former NFL player Darren Sharper has been sentenced to 18 years in prison in a case in which he was accused of drugging and raping as many as 16 women in four states. Judge Jane Triche Milazzo sentenced Sharper on Thursday. He had pleaded guilty or no-contest in federal court in New Orleans, and state courts in Louisiana, Arizona, California and Nevada to charges arising from the allegations of drugging and raping women. Prosecutors suggested a nine-year prison term for Sharper under a multi-jurisdictional plea deal, but Milazzo rejected it as too lenient in June. The sentence was 15 months short of the maximum. He was also fined $20,000. Sharper pleaded guilty in federal court to three counts of distributing drugs with rape as the aim. He or his friend Brandon Licciardi, a former sheriff’s deputy in neighboring St Bernard Parish, put anti-anxiety drugs or sedatives into women’s drinks so they could rape them, according to a 15-page statement signed as part of ...

Jill Stein on 11 key issues: Where does Green Party presidential candidate stand?

Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein presents herself as a viable alternative this year to the two major-party candidates, who have the lowest approval ratings of any presidential nominees in the past seven decades. Stein, 66, of Lexington, Mass., is making her second bid for president on the Green Party ballot line. The Harvard-educated doctor received almost 500,000 votes for president in 2012, which she boasts is still the record for most votes received by a woman candidate for president in the general election. Stein says she became involved in politics more than a decade ago because she didn't like the country's direction, and had become alarmed about children becoming ill from environmental pollution and unhealthy foods they are provided. She and running mate Ajamu Baraka support a "Green New Deal" under which the government would end dependence on fossil fuels, fight climate change and create millions of new green-energy jobs. Here...