Skip to main content

Rookie Benintendi’s poise impresses Red Sox




O BY FRANK JANSKY/ICON SPORTSWIRE)
Andrew Benintendi was playing college baseball just 16 months ago. Now the rookie left fielder is looking to help rally the Boston Red Sox in their American League Division Series.
The Red Sox trail the Cleveland Indians, 2-0, in the best-of-five series that is scheduled to resume Monday night at Fenway Park in Boston following a rainout Sunday and an off day Saturday.
Though the Red Sox are in a precarious situation as they face elimination, and Benintendi is a 22-year-old rookie left fielder, don’t look him to fold under the pressure. If anything, the seventh overall pick in last year’s amateur draft is likely to rise to the occasion.
“He’s extremely poised,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said. “For a guy that 16 months ago was on the University of Arkansas campus, it’s pretty remarkable.”
Benintendi made the daunting jump from Double-A Portland to the major leagues on Aug. 2, then helped the Red Sox win the AL East title after they finished in last place each of the two previous seasons.
Benintendi hit .295 with two home runs and an .835 OPS in 34 games following his promotion, though he was on the disabled list from Aug. 24-Sept. 12 with a sprained left knee.
“He’s a guy wired to perform in postseason,” Farrell said. “He’s calm. Even before the postseason started he’s been a guy that’s never really panicked, even when he’s been in a disadvantaged count at the plate. His athletic movements are graceful. It’s almost like a window into what his mind is going through. It’s even, it’s under control, and he plays like that.”
Indeed, Benintendi seems the least fit fazed about playing in October.
He hit a home run in first career postseason plate appearance last Wednesday night, lining a 408-foot shot to right-center field in the third inning off Trevor Bauer in the Red Sox’s 5-4 loss in Game 1 at Progressive Field in Cleveland.
At 22 years and 92 days, Benintendi became the youngest Red Sox’ player to hit a postseason home run. Reggie Smith was 22 years and 188 days when he connected in Game 3 of the 1967 World Series off the St. Louis Cardinals’ Nellie Briles.
“It’s the same game,” Benintendi said. “Just more at stake.”
While the Red Sox are obviously focused on trying to prolong this season, they can’t help but be excited about Benintendi what can do over the course of a full season in 2017. He should combine with center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr. and right fielder Mookie Betts to comprise one of the best outfields in the major leagues.
Bradley and Betts both started in this season’s All-Star Game. The 24-year-old Betts had an MVP-caliber season, batting .318 with 31 home runs, 113 RBI, 26 stolen bases and an .897 OPS in 158 games; 26-year-old Bradley hit .267 with 26 homers and an .835 OPS in 149 games.
“I think everyone is looking forward to, one, if not many years of a very good player, that’s been on a rapid ascent into the big leagues and has handled everything in stride,” Farrell said of Benintendi.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who Is Zuleyka Rivera? 5 Things To Know About The ‘Despacito’ Actress

With ‘Despacito’ up for Record of the Year at the 2018 Grammy Awards, here’s everything you need to know about the music video’s actress — Zuleyka Rivera! 1. She’s a renowned beauty queen.  Not only did she claim the Miss Universe Puerto Rico title, Zuleyka eventually took the top prize and was later crowned Miss Universe in 2006. 2. After her huge Miss Universe win, she studied acting and eventually became a TV star.  She now lives in Miami where she’s frequently a special guest or a host on shows like  Un Nuevo Dia  on Telemundo and  Despierta America  on Univision. Before that, she became a breakout star by appearing on several Televisa soap operas in Mexico. 3. In addition to modeling, she also owns her own clothing line.  On top of running her own teen-ware clothing collection, she also has three fragrance lines called the Karisma, Zuleyka and Zuleyka 2010. If that wasn’t impressive enough, she also started an amazing swims...

Frank Ocean new album: How to listen and stream Boys Don’t Cry when it drops

After two missed release dates a year apart and a confusing decoy of a “live stream” video, Frank Ocean is set to finally release his second album,  Boys Don’t Cry , on Friday 5 August. It will be launched through an exclusive deal with Apple Music, according to the  New York Times , who cite a ‘person with knowledge of the release plans’. If indeed this is the case (and it would make sense, that live stream has an Apple watermark), it means you’ll need to sign up for Apple Music to listen to the  Channel Orange  follow-up, which costs £9.99 a month (£4.99 for students through Apple’s UNiDAYS promotion). You might want to turn off auto-renewal off though (Apple Music app > profile icon > View Apple ID. > Subscriptions > Manage > switch Auto-Renewal off), if you’re the kind of person who, like me, is liable to forget that you’ve signed up for the service indefinitely. Beyond Apple Music...

Why My Chemical Romance's 'The Black Parade' Was The 'Sgt Pepper' Of The Emo Generation

Secret (or not so secret) noughties emos rejoice! Grab some black hair dye and vow to disown your parents all over again! Because  My Chemical Romance  look  set to reissue an expanded version of 'The Black Parade' , their third and most successful album, for its 10 year anniversary (yes, you really are  that  old).  The news last night, stoked by a  mysterious video  teased on the band's long-dormant Twitter page, was enough to rev some sections of the internet into a frenzy. But what's all the fuss about? Well, the album in question wasn't just the band's best, nor just most succinct album of its genre, it was one of the most important records of the last decade.  An  "ostentatious concept-album-cum-rock-opera about death" , as we described it upon its release, the record is a bombastic tour-de-force that took cues from Green Day's 'American Idiot' (both albums were recorded with the same producer) but sounded nothing like its...